언론보도

2010.11.09. 라펜트 - 찰스왈드하임 교수와 박명권 대표의 대담 3

작성일 11-03-31 13:15

http://www.lafent.com/news2/sub_01_view.html?b_cate=11&m_cate=00&news_… [611]

찰스왈드하임 교수와 박명권 대표의 대담-3
조경가, 대형 개발프로젝트의 중심적 역할해야
라펜트 기사입력 : 2010-11-09

이번 시간은 총 3회로 기획되었던 하버드대 GSD 조경학과장찰스 왈드하임과 ㈜그룹한박명권 대표이사의 대담의 마지막 회 입니다. 그동안 1~2회에서는 랜드스케이프 어바니즘과 그 같은 배경에서 진행되는 하버드대 GSD 의 커리큘럼까지 심도깊은 논의가 이어져 왔습니다. 3회에서는 한국 뿐아니라 전세계 조경분야가 주목해야 할 가치에 대한 내용이 담겨져 있습니다. 대담을 진행해주신 그룹한 박명권 대표이사님의 협조에 깊은 감사를 드립니다. -편집자주

<차례> 찰스왈드하임 교수와 박명권 대표의 대담 - 관련기사 링크

1회: 조경가, 건축 및 도시전문가보다 경쟁 우위
2회: 조경, 경기불황에도 미래는 밝다
3회: 조경가, 대형 개발프로젝트의 중심적 역할해야

박명권(Q6):

한국에서는 유래 없는 대규모 토목, 도시재개발 프로젝트가 전국에 걸쳐서 활발히 이루어지고 있습니다. 이러한 사업들은 강한 개발중심 이데올로기에 의해 조성된 사회 환경 속에서 충분한 환경영향평가 없이 빠르게 진행되고 있습니다. 이러한 개발의 막대한 영향은 한국뿐 아니라 전세계적인 문제입니다. 언젠가는 저개발 국가 혹은 제 3세계 국가에서도 조경가의 역할이 필요해질 때가 올 것이라 생각합니다. 하버드 디자인스쿨이 이러한 시대적 상황을 보는 의견과 미래에 대한 계획을 말씀해주십시오.

Professor Waldheim:

한국의 상황에 대한 제 이해의 폭이 협소합니다만, 말씀하신데 따르면 그것은 도시화나 개발의 속도와 관련된 세계적인 문제이고, 또한 개발이 어떻게 설정되고 전문적으로 조직되는가의 문제라고 봅니다.
저는 이러한 영역에서 서구와 북미 그리고 미국이 리더십을 발휘할 수 있을 거라 확신합니다. 미국의 조경 분야는 수 십 년 동안 영향평가 및 생태학적 평가와 자원분석 등 생태 연구들을 지속해왔기 때문입니다. 이러한 경관생태학 프로젝트의 경우가, 제가 생각하기에 미국 조경계가 국제사회에 기여할 수 있는 분야이지 않을까 생각합니다.

그러나 궁극적으로 이것은 전문성의 여부에 대한 질문이 아닙니다. 조경의 전문적이고 기술적인 역량이 이런 종류의 일을 수행하기에 부족하다고 생각하지 않습니다. 이것은 오히려 정치적, 사회적 결정의 문제입니다.
다시 말해, 이런 프로젝트의 가치는 무엇이고, 여기에 적합한 리더십은 무엇인가, 우리가 현존하는 생태계에 대해 어떤 가치를 부여하는가, 개발사업으로 인한 환경적 영향을 평가할 수 있는 방법들은 있는가, 그리고 생태적으로 예측되는 결과나 사람들의 기대를 구체화하거나 모델링 할 수 있는 길은 있는가와 같은 질문들입니다.

이러한 면에서 제가 짧은 한국 방문기간 동안 느낀 것은, 최근의 많은 개발사업의 초점이 디자인의 새로운 역할에 맞추어져 있다는 것입니다. 그리고 이것은 대체적으로 매우 긍정적인 신호라 생각합니다. 서울시의 성공적 공공사업이 이명박 시장을 대통령으로 당선시키는데 큰 역할을 했고, 디자인에 대한 전반적 이해를 국가적 수준으로 끌어올리는데 도움을 주었다고 봅니다.

청계천(출처: http://www.harvard.edu/)

근래에 브라운필드와 인프라스트럭처를 도시의 한 부분으로 전환하는 프로젝트에서 디자인의 위상에 대해 논의하는 부분이 있었습니다. 저는 그러한 사업에서 현존하는 생태적 환경에 대한 더욱 철저한 분석이 이루어져야 하며, 새로 도래할 생태적 기능과 과정 및 결과에 대해 충분한 작업이 선행되어야 한다고 봅니다.
환경에 대한 목표를 설정하고, 결과를 예측하며, 탄소 및 에너지 감량이 가능한지, 식물을 이용한 탄소의 축적이 이루어지는지, 혹은 지하수의 저장 및 충전이 이루어지는지에 대한 준비는 전 세계의 조경가들이 짊어져야 할 막대한 과제입니다. 궁극적으로 이러한 질문들은 기술적이고 전문적인 지식의 문제라기보다는, 개발사업의 전면에 부각되었을 때, 조경가를 거대 프로젝트의 중심적 역할로 위치시키는 질문들이라고 하겠습니다.

박명권

교수님과의 인터뷰 내용을 통해 한국의 많은 조경가들이 미래비전에 대한 기대감과 함께 조경가로서의 책임감을 느낄 것으로 생각됩니다. 다시 한번 한국 방문과 인터뷰에 응해주신데 감사드립니다.

Professor Waldheim

환대에 깊이 감사드립니다.()

월간 <환경과조경> 12월호(통권 272)에는 찰스왈드하임을 비롯해 영국 AA스쿨의 톰 스미스 교수, 미국 유타대학의 낼 엘린 교수, 한양대 도시대학원 조세환 교수, 서울대 환경대학원 조경진 교수 등 국내·외 석학들로부터 “랜드스케이프 어바니즘의 정의와 장·단점”을 짚어보고 “학문적 논의와 구체적인 실천사례, 조경실무에서의 적용 가능성” 등에 대해 들어보는 “5 5色” 인터뷰가 수록될 예정입니다.

랜드스케이프 어바니즘(우측은 번역서)

Park myung-kweon(Q6):

Now more than ever Korea is actively proceeding with large-scale engineering and urban renaissance projects across the whole country. These projects are progressing quickly without sufficient environmental impact assessments in an social environment created by a strong development-oriented ideology. I think that the influence of this kind of development is a problem not only in Korea but worldwide. And I think the time will come when the role of a Landscape Architect will be required in undeveloped and third world countries. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and any future plans which Harvard GSD may have in this regard.

Professor Waldheim:

While I know very little about the Korean situation, it sounds, as you say, like a challenge internationally which has to do with the pace of urbanization and the pace of development but also, how that development is configured and how it’s organized professionally. This is an area where I do think that the West and North America and the United States can provide leadership because we’ve had a very strong tradition over many decades of the kind of ecological analysis, both impact statements and ecological assessments and inventories, and so, that aspect of the landscape ecological project is probably one that I think we can help with internationally. At some point this is ultimately not a professional question. I don’t think we lack for the professional or technical capacity to do this kind of work. It’s rather more a political and social challenge. That is, what’s the value and what’s the leadership in these kinds of projects? And do we, in fact, value the existing ecology? Do we have ways of valuing the ecological impact of our work? And do we have ways of articulating and modeling the ecological outcomes or expectations that we have? In this regard, I would say that much of the recent development that I’ve seen in my short visit to Korea is focused primarily on the new role of design and I think it’s largely very, very positive. My understanding has been that a range of projects in Seoul have essentially helped to raise the Mayor of Seoul to the Presidency and to take to a national level an understanding about design. I think that there are moments in the conversation that I have picked up where that design can be focused on the idea of turning brownfields and infrastructure projects into urban design districts and I would say that much more needs to be done and should be done with respect to the environmental analysis of what was existing but also the ecological function and process and outcomes or what is built. In that regard, I would say that I think that much of the world still has a lot of work to do in terms of articulating what the goals are, what the ecological outcomes are, whether they be reduction in carbon, reduction in energy use, the fixing of carbon through plant material, or the storage and recharge of ground water. Ultimately, these are not that challenging in terms of their technical or professional knowledge, but they are questions that, once they become priorities, do place landscape architects really quite central to the managing of fairly large projects.

Park myung-kweon

I think, through your interview many korea landscape architects can feel a new responsibility as a landscape architect and have a new vision.

Thank you again.

Professor Waldheim

Thank you so much

Comments

홍보

• 언론보도
  • 디자인뉴스
  • 자료실